Saturday, December 25, 2010

Walking in a Winter Wonderland.

To shake off the some of the inches gained on the waistline yesterday I went for a walk up the side of the voe at midday. Not much sun thanks to the mountains, but plenty of ice and snow. There's even a group of Herons in this pic.
 The path had a fair depth of snow on it and all the trees were well coated with either snow or frost.
 

 
 Away from the stream of tide which flows in and out of the voe. the water was well and truly frozen.
 
 
 At some points the trees were weighted down so far that walking under them was a bit difficult.
 Some of the larger trees looked nice from below.
 On the way back I noticed that the sports field has been cleared of snow. Maybe they're going to spray it with water to form an ice rink.
 The Beach Volleyball area hadn't been cleared. I think that may have something to do with bikinis not being much use at -15C
 I'll end with a couple more pictures of the ever growing ice crystals. Some are up to 2.5cm long now and starting to look like little trees.
 
Now must go and eat Christmas Dinner number two...

Yun's aa fir enoo.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful.

    Been cross country skiing yet? I thought I might see soem doing it in Shetland

    ReplyDelete
  2. No skiing yet this year, been too damned cold. Plus both me and the wife have had a few aches and pains so we thought it might not be a good idea to add to them, that's old age for you.
    It's looking a bit warmer for next week, so maybe see if I can break a leg then. ;)

    Robbie

    ReplyDelete